[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 3 12:42:19 UTC 2009

John Doe wrote:
> From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com>
>> Can you please do me favor and let me know if I can go further and try for
>> does not start with a zero after the third comma ?
>
> Something like: awk -F, ' { print $4 } ' | grep -v "^0" | wc -l Use one
> command at a time to see how they work with each other (you might have to
> modify the grep a bit)...

*sigh*

Drive me crazy, why use multiple commands?

awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print count }'
filename

	mark "why, yes, since you ask, I *have* written 100 and
		200 line awk scripts"
--
Though I don't think (object-oriented programming) has much to offer good
programmers, except in certain specialized domains, it is irresistible to