[CentOS] Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Dec 3 23:19:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
>Christoph Maser wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Charles E Campbell
>> Jr:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work).  I'd like
>>> to build vim with huge and perl.  This works under Centos, but fails at
>>> home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things).  So: is
>>> there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
>>> (both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Chip Campbell
>>>

>> The command:
>> yum provides "*/$filename"
>>
>> will tell you wich packages provide a certain file
>>

>Thanks -- I'll try it out tonight at home.  However, I note that trying
>it on my Centos machine yields:
>
>$ yum provides '*/EXTERN.h'
>Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>Error: Caching enabled but no local cache of
>//var/cache/yum/addons/filelists.xml.gz from addons

If I remember correctly, EXTERN.h file is often something that
may be package dependent containing something like:

#undef EXT
#undef INIT
#define EXT extern
#define INIT(x)

Perl distributions generally have an EXTERN.h and perl.h file
that is used during the perl build process.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
    -- Adolf Hitler