[CentOS] Is ext4 safe for a production server?

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at riscworks.net
Sat Dec 5 15:57:52 UTC 2009

thus Chan Chung Hang Christopher spake:
> Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> I am about to install a new server running CentOS 5.4. The server will
>> contain pretty critical data that we can't afford to corrupt.
>>
>> I would like to benefit from the extra speed and features of a ext4
>> filesystem but I don't have any experience with it.
>> Is there some member of the list who can enlighten me on whether ext4 is
>> mature enough to be used on a production server without too much risk?
>>

> Some people have encountered data loss issues on Ubuntu (quite some time
> back and nothing reported recently) and ext4 support is not yet official
> in Centos5/RHEL5.

Hi,

mentioned data loss issue was patched/a workaround applied [0], however,
this is not a real problem here since RHEL/CentOS does not support ext4
officially yet.

For enterprise environments my favorite FS is XFS, YMMV, though.

HTH,

Timo

[0] --
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ext4-data-loss-explanations-and-workarounds-740671.html