[CentOS] Is ext4 safe for a production server?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Dec 5 21:04:16 UTC 2009

Jure Pečar wrote:
> AFAIK AIX JFS != Linux JFS. It's more like OS/2 JFS and IBM
> ported it to linux to enable their os/2 customers to move to linux.

that same OS/2 JFS was backported to AIX as JFS2, I believe.

> Also whenever fs reliability discussion pops up I like to point people to
> this paper: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/wind/Publications/iron-sosp05.pdf

interesting, but that article is 5 years old.   I'd be surprised if most
of the implementation 'bugs' and anomalies discussed have not since been
addressed.

I do wish more file systems and volume managers implemented block
checksumming, which provides end to end integrity both for data and
metadata.  Afaik, only Sun's ZFS fully implements this approach.