[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 04:32:52 UTC 2009

mark wrote:
> hadi motamedi wrote:

>>> for
>>> *sigh*
>>>
>>> Drive me crazy, why use multiple commands?
>>>
>>> awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print
>>> count }'
>>> filename
>> Sorry . I tried for your proposed procedure , as the followings :
>> #awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print
>> count }' HLRSubscriber-20091111173349.csv
>> But my CentOS server didn't return to the prompt . Can you please let me
>> know why it is in an end-less iterated loop ?
>> Thank you in advance
>
> Syntax error. You wrote
> if ( $3 !~ /^0
> not
> if ( $3 !~ /^0/
>
> PLEASE: if you ask for help, and someone gives you examples, READ THE MAN PAGES
> SO THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I could have just as well have given you
> something that would have wiped your system (like system("rm -rf /").

Awk is just too weird for normal people.  I wouldn't even suggest reading that
manual.  If you can't do what you want with regexps and a pipeline of simpler
programs, you might as well use perl.

But:
grep -v '^.*,.*,.*,0' filename |wc -l
seems simple enough and says what you mean.

Or:
cut -d, -f4 | grep -v '^0' |wc -l

--
   Les Mikesell