[CentOS] how to do startup scripts?

Gary L. Greene, Jr. ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Mon Dec 7 20:22:10 UTC 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 12:10:50 pm John R Pierce wrote:
> Roland Roland wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just finished installing Atlassian's bamboo
> > <http://www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo/>
> > it comes with two ways to start it up one through a bash shell script
> > bamboo.sh
> > and another through java script (this one is better as it has the
> > ability to start up the service if it got shutdown for any reason)
> >
> > so I'm wondering how can I set this service to start on boot..
> > I know how to set a script on login in my profile though not on boot..
> >
> > any suggestion?
> > I've looked around about none interactive shells and so on.. so if I
> > did a symbolic link from bamboo.sh script to /etc/init.d would that work?
> > what about variables inside the script would they b read ?
> >
> > obviously a newbie here so appreciate any detailed explanation if
> > possible about interactive/ none interactive shells and of course if
> > theres an advice about how to solve this issue..
> >
> > PS: trying to educate myself about linux along the way so any
> > explanation would be greatly appreciated...
>
> you need to write a script for /etc/init.d that takes an argument
> "stop", "start", and optionally "restart" and/or "reload".
>
> this script can either call that bamboo.sh script or just contain a copy
> of it as the 'start' part (I'd go with the latter if its really simple)
>
> do remember, you have to set up any environment this process may needmay
> need.  DO NOT ASSUME ANY LOGIN ENVIRONMENT.
>
> Take a look at /etc/init.d/smartd  as an example init script, as this is
> a fairly simple one.
>
> your script should have a comment on top something like...
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     #
>     # bamboo       Starts the bamboo service
>     #
>     # chkconfig:   345 05 95
>     # ....
>
> the important line there is chkconfig:   whihc in this case says, by
> default you want this service run at run levels 3,4,5, and it is to be
> started at priority 05 and stopped at priority 95
> (lower means sooner ni the order of things)
>
> after putting that script in /etc/init.d, then...
>
>     service bamboo {start|stop}
>
> will manuallly start/stop this service, and
>
>     chkconfig bamboo on
>
> and that will configure it to run at startup per those chkconfig options.

Good documentation for this lives in the following directory:

/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<VERSION>/sysconfig.txt

The <VERSION> should be replaced with the version string of the initscripts
rpm found by running 'rpm -q initscripts --format %{VERSION} && echo' at the
terminal.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations