[CentOS] 486 custom kernel

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Dec 8 22:28:22 UTC 2009

----- "Marko Vojinovic" <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 19:54:03 Jerry Geis wrote:
> > > It may be one way to do it, but that is not how xen or kvm are
> > > ordinarily set up under CentOS -- qemu has (had) the hooks to
> > > simulate the missing opcodes of some arch's, but at a
> > > performance penalty
> >
> > if there is a way to "simulate" missing opcodes in the kernel - that
> would
> > be great also. I dont care if there is a performace hit.
> >
> > I am looking for a way to run the 686 centos on a 486 machine.
> > I was hoping I could just recompile the kernel as 486 and any
> libraries
> > would not be using MMX/SSE etc...
>
> I am no expert on this, but have a feeling that you would basically
> need to
> recompile every package that does not have an .i386 rpm.
>
> And if you are about to recompile things, why not use gentoo or
> something like
> that?

Gentoo? What do you have against the OP? Why subject him to such madness and unnecessary pain? :D

In my recent trip through i486 land, I found that Debian seems to be the best bet for nearly all packages being natively available in i386. Also, the installation can be pruned down to a very slim ~140MB if you're careful.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105