[CentOS] Firewall for virtual machines

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:47:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:

> This depends on how you have the guest network setup.  If it's in
> bridged mode, then the firewall on the host does nothing to protect
> the guest.  If you're running NAT mode, then that's sort of like a
> (consumer) firewall already, so should be pretty safe.

Excellent point - I should have said: I run in NAT mode, mainly
because I can use SAMBA in NAT mode but I never could get the SAMBA
mounts from Win-guest to work with the CentOS host in bridged mode.
Probably just my own ineptitude with SAMBA, but in NAT it works fine
(with the exact same smb.conf...).

Many thanks.

mhr