[CentOS] How do I link to custom libs without affecting system libs (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

Chris Morley g18c at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 12 21:46:09 UTC 2009

Hi, i am getting an issue with rtorrent that is related to my curl libaries.
In summary it requires a later curl libary than CentOS 5.4 uses for its system files (CentOS uses curl libs version 7.15.5, rtorrent requires 7.19.2 or greater).
To get around this I would like to download the latest curl version and compile and link to rtorrent without affecting system files.

How can i statically link the latest Curl libs to my rtorrent build? I belive its to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH but i am not sure howto proceed:

wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.19.7.tar.gz
cd curl-7.19.7./configuremakemake install

The above make install would overwrite or upgrade the existing curl, worried about breaking existing system!

Many thanks in advance,