[CentOS] Deleting contents of /tmp on shutdown

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 13 02:19:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 07:35:51PM -0500, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> Thanks for the link.  It's a little over my head though.

No it isn't.  The main thing you need is

mount -t tmpfs -o size=100M,mode=0755 tmpfs /var/www/www.example.com/cache

You would adjust size to be the size of the vmdisk you want, and adjust
/var/www... to be /tmp.  If you want this on boot, put the appropriate
entry into /etc/fstab:

tmpfs /var/www/www.example.com/cache tmpfs size=100M,mode=0755 0 0

(same adjustments here)

> Today, I found upd.pl in my tmp directory.  The date was oct 09.  I also
> found my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow had been changed with a user of
> 0Profile added.  I deleted the old files and restored those from backup.  I
> ran my chkrootkit and installed mod_security.  SSH is not running so I don't
> know how this happened.

Perhaps your system is not as simple as you think it is.  ;-/

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net