[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 - Problem with Enumeration of NICs

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sun Dec 13 03:03:06 UTC 2009

> As I recall my solution was to comment out the modprobe alias created
> for the network cards (/etc/modprobe.conf) and then in
> network-scripts, use the HWADDR in each config script.  Make sure the
> device=ethX matches the name of the file, if nothing else, for your
> own sanity - since the OS checks that line, and does not care what the
> file is named.

Thank you for your answer. I will look it up.

I found this useful article:

Linux Enumeration of NICs
http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v4.pdf

The author, a Dell employee, made a script to automate the process of
ordering the NICs. He also gives tips to manually solve this recurring
problem.

Regards
Miguel