[CentOS] Samba, ADS & Winbind Separator on CentOS 5.4

Guy Boisvert

boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Mon Dec 14 16:11:25 UTC 2009

Hi!

    I have a little problem with Samba.  I have an ADS integrated CentOS
5.4 server.  I had frequent access problem when M$ users create
directories and files.  So i thought to force users' persmissions by way
of the "force user" parameter in smb.conf.

    First problem is that the forced users i want to apply are ADS users
and named like "MYDOMAIN#Joe" in passwd file.  When i use this name in
smb.conf, i get this error when i run testparm: "ERROR: the 'winbind
separator' parameter must be a single character.", even if i used
"winbind separator =#".  If i use "winbind separator =\" and name my
users like "MYDOMAIN\Joe" in smb.conf, i have no error but users cannot
access the share.

    Actually, i know that "#" is sometimes used for comments on the
config file and "\" is sometimes used to escape characters.  Now, what
should i do to fix the problem?  Change Winbind config to use another
character?  Use some kind of escaped character in smb.conf?  I'm a
little lost!

Thanks!

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.