[CentOS] mod_security

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:12:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Thomas Dukes <tdukes at sc.rr.com> wrote:
> I installed mod_security yesterday.  Unbelievable the amount of crap it will
> stop in 24 hrs.
>
> Picked up the rpm at http://rpm.pbone.net

Please be careful when doing this. It's very common (using irc support
as a basis for evaluation) to have users grabbing any old rpm they
come across from here and installing it. Make sure it's an rpm that's
actually built for RHEL/CentOS of the appropriate version. There are a
number of support requests for folks who have slapped in a fedora,
mandrake, or aging redhat package only to find things are now broken.

> This should be made part of the CentOS extra, contribs or whatever!!

mod_security is in the highly public EPEL 3rd party repository, as
well as directly from the mod_security website, and several other 3rd
party repos, jason litka, etc... While it might be nice to bring it
closer to the distro, it's not exactly lacking in distribution.

George Orwell