[CentOS] Using (was: Announcing) Gluster Storage Platform

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Dec 16 14:08:49 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> A cluster filesystem
>
> OK, but you've just given me a circular definition.
>
>> When you do not need/want a cluster file system
>
> and again ...

Okay, a cluster/distributed file system that does not have its own on
disk format. It makes use of whatever existing filesystem there is for
actual storage and allows you to replicate files/load balance requests
to files to 'storage servers' of any supported platform.

At the same time, user level processes on 'clients' access the system as
if it was an actual file system.

This enables one to have Linux clients that run say samba to export the
files to Windows clients but the actual files are kept on OpenSolaris
servers on zfs. Should the Linux clients all go down, the Windows
clients could still access the files on the OpenSolaris servers via samba.