[CentOS] LVM, usb drives, Active Directory

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Wed Dec 16 14:57:38 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 9:41 AM, William Warren wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 12:10 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Still going to need 10TB of backups.  And i can guarantee you the
> chances of having a URE during rebuild are almost certain with this
> setup so a backup is going to be crucial.  Sounds like a nightmare even
> inside a supermicro or similar box.

Yah, RAID-6 at a minimum, I wouldn't depend on RAID-5, even with a
hot-spare.  So to get 10TB, you'd need 13 drives (10 data, 2 parity, 1
hot-spare).

And make sure you buy enterprise level SATA disks (the 1TB models are
about $150 right now).

(You can fit 15 3.5" drives into a SuperMicro 4U 942i 760W case with the
5:3 SATA mobile racks.  The 942i is also a very quiet case due to using
120mm fans inside.)