[CentOS] i386 and x86_64 packages on an 64bit system after fresh install - why?

Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator

goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Fri Dec 18 09:12:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

I recetly set up a brand new fres Centos 5.4 64 bit system and found a
lot of i386 packages installed along with the x86_64 packages.

My questions: Why is this done?

May I remove the i386 packages? (rpm -e ....)

I wanted to update today the installed packages and do get some dep
messages:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
glibc-2.5-42.i686 from installed has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.5-42 is needed by package
glibc-2.5-42.i686 (installed)
Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.5-42 is needed by package
glibc-2.5-42.i686 (installed)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                        package-cleanup --dupes
                        rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.

Thanks for any suggestion and best regards,

	Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. Claudia Hübner
Staatsrätin für Demographischen Wandel und für Senioren im Staatsministerium

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt