[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Dec 21 14:00:07 UTC 2009

>> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
>> papers.  On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
>> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
>> satisfy the requirement.
>
> I wouldn't buy a color printer at all.
> I assume, every decent college has some sort of print-shop on the campus
> where you can make high-quality color printouts for pennies.
> For black&white, I'd buy a decent laser printer.
<snip>
I'll second this. A couple years ago, when the inkjet I had died, I looked
at other inkjets (ANY MAKE *O*T*H*E*R* than HP!!!), and then the salesguys
chatted up a cute, small HP Laserjet 1018 (HP Laserjets, on the other
hand, *are* still good). After the promotional discount that was literally
half the price, I got it for about $68. No, that's not a mistake. It's
worked very well (though that model, I had to build the driver for). Color
- I get someone else to do, or do it at work.

     mark