[CentOS] SFTP - stalled - on large files

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Wed Dec 23 00:41:36 UTC 2009

We had a similar problem copying files between servers on two of our
campuses via SCP.  After a while the connection just stalled out and
hung.  The problem turned out to be SCP and SFTP interacting a bug in
the SACK (Selective Acknowledgment) algorithm used in Linux.  We turned
it off on the two endpoints using the following addition to
/etc/sysctl.conf:

> # Turn off SACK
> net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0

and execute "sysctl -p" to apply it.  You can also use "sysctl -w
net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0" to turn it off temporarily.  Our file transfers
worked just fine after the change.

I realize there are differences our situation and yours and this might
not work in your case.  Given the length of this thread, though, it
might be worth a try!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com