[CentOS] partitioning order and IO performance

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Dec 23 15:28:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 09:37 -0500, Ross Walker wrote:
> <snip>

> I think you might be confusing CAV with CLV of optical drives.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_Angular_Velocity
>
> -Ross

That was my thought. However, I think most are missing the boat on this.

I have always looked at the anticipated work profile on the drive and
tried to place partitions to minimize seek time - that being the single
biggest latency issue, IMO. By placing the most frequently accessed
partitons adjacent to each other, and near the middle of the platter(s),
seek delays are minimized.

With the advent of LVM, I feel this is more easily fine tuned, initially
and later after the /real/ workload can be statistically profiled.

--
Bill