[CentOS] OT:Which filesystem to use with large files

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 15:57:05 UTC 2009

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Recently I have installed a centOS 5.4 server to use as a home NAS server. I need
> to use large files (8GB minimum) inside of it to serve via iSCSI services. Which
> filesystem do you recommends me to reach maximum performance: xfs, ext3, ext4, gfs2
> ....??

None of them should have a problem with large files and any differences
in the filesystem metadata handling will be covered up by the underlying
disk access speed of a large amount of data per file.  The bigger
differences are in how fast they can create or delete large numbers of
files.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com