[CentOS] OT:Which filesystem to use with large files

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:54:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Recently I have installed a centOS 5.4 server to use as a home NAS server. I need
> to use large files (8GB minimum) inside of it to serve via iSCSI services. Which
> filesystem do you recommends me to reach maximum performance: xfs, ext3, ext4, gfs2
> ....??

I don't know if this is still true, but when I last checked a couple
years ago, the recommendation was for LVM device backed iSCSI targets.

http://osdir.com/ml/linux.iscsi.tgt.devel/2008-09/msg00000.html

With LVMs you'd of course lose the flexibility of file-backed targets
and the ability to do sparse files are you're intending..

dd if=/dev/zero of=iqn.2009-12.com.mydomain:storage.disk01.foo.foo
bs=1 count=0 seek=16G