[CentOS] Sparc?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:57:41 UTC 2009

Tim Nelson wrote:

>> My 12 year old wants to learn more about servers and has memorized a
>> lot of commands like ls, chmod, du, etc.
>> He wants to have his own domain and server on the web and I have
>> enough Static IP's, so why not foster this interest.
>
> Fantastic! Nothing helps creativity and exploration like the support of a parent.
>
>> I have an old ultra sparc 5. Are there any CentOS versions that
>> support Sparc?
>
> Some older CentOS versions may have supported SPARC. Recently, I've been running Debian and FreeBSD on my SPARC gear with no problems to speak of. IIRC, your best bet these days besides Solaris on SPARC is going to be either NetBSD or OpenBSD in terms of support and completeness.
>
>> Or recommendations? I know OpenBSD does, but I am more versed in
>> Solaris and versions like Slackware or CentOS or Ubuntu.
>>

> See above. :-)

Opensolaris would seem to be the obvious choice to run on a sparc.

>> He also says that ZFS rules all and is pissed Apple did not adopt it.
>> Kids will be kids!
>
> You should go into a rant about "When I was your age... we didn't have ZFS, or Reiserfs, or even ext2/3. We had FAT. And we liked it. And nobody complained. Not like you young punks have it with your 'journaling' this and 'snapshots' that."

Nobody liked FAT.  Or the dozens of incompatible variations it took to go from
the original 32 Meg size limit to whatever the 'you won't ever need more than
...' value is now.

And Apple never likes to include anything extra for free in an OS release.  They
always save the things you want so you have to throw out your old version and
buy again when they do include it in some future update.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com