[CentOS] Lost mdadm.conf

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 16:27:31 UTC 2009

2009/12/31 Luciano Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:39:25AM -0400, robert mena wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I lost my mdadm.conf (and /proc/mdadm shows nothing useful) and I'd like to
>> mount the filesystem again.  So I've booted using rescue but I was wondering
>> if I can do a command like this safely (i.e without losing the data
>> previously stored).
>>
>> mdadm -C /dev/md0 --level=raid0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
>>
>> Where of course the raid devices and the /dev/x are the correct ones

I can't say this with 100% certainty but I would of thought that it
would been fine. I've lost my mdadm.conf (reinstalled OS) with a
separate 4 disk RAID 5 array and re-assembled the array and carried on
as if nothing had happened.

Use "sudo mdadm -E --scan" do get a list of discovered RAID devices
like this example:

ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid0 num-devices=2 UUID=fde94900:3f3f3bf6

Pop the results in your mdadm.conf and that should sort you out after
a reboot (I think). Also try something like "sudo mdadm --assemble
/dev/md1
/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1" to assemble the RAID manually.

--
Regards,
James ;)

Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html