[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:36:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:14 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Still no java browser plugin for Centos?  I've been reading the web
>>> all night on this, getting angry.  I can't find any explanation about
>>> why EPEL did have a working browser plugin, but then Centos introduced
>>> versions of those same packages that had the plugin removed.  Not to
>>> mention the fact that Centos keeps the older version (b09) of
>>> java-1.6.0, and yet yum seems to think it is a newer version.

> I agree with the original poster. Not having the java plugin is fine on
> servers, but for users here who *do* use it as a desktop, my choices are
> to either not update openjdk or install Sun's Java, which makes openjdk
> pointless.
>       mark

As luck would have it, I have copies of the java-1.6.0 b12 EPEL RPMS
that were offered before Centos added java-1.6.0 b09 as an "upgrade"
on my home page.

The SRPM is here

And the RPMS EPEL had offered are here

The RedHat/Centos version b09 is heavily patched for some security
things and also to disable the plugin (why??).  The Epel version is
b12, newer, but not so security patched.

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas