[CentOS] Find reason for heavy load

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 20:13:28 UTC 2009

Just an concluding update to anybody who might be interested :)

My apologies for blaming spamassassin in the earlier email. It was
taking so long because of the real problem.

Apparently the odd exim processes that was related to the mail loop
problem I nipped was still the culprit. I had overlooked the fact that
by the time I caught onto the mail loop issue, there were actually
hundreds if not thousands of bounced and rebounced messages in the
queue already. Attempting to deliver these messages queued before I
terminated the mail loop was what those exim processes were trying to
do.

This would had been ok if not for the other problem. The user
apparently went on 2 week vacation since 15th and thought it was a
good idea to enlarge his mailbox before doing so. So there was this
2.5GB mailbox choked full of both valid & rebounced mails, plus the
queue of more rebounced mails. So every time exim attempted to add the
queued mails to the user's account, the quota system rejected it. The
cpu load was probably due to this never ending ping pong match between
exim and the quota.

Yeah, I can't help but feel this must be such a noob mistake allowing
that to develop without realizing it.

Now that I've purged the queue of those bounced messages and other
housekeeping for that user, server load has finally gone back to the
expected sub 1.0 levels so I can finally go and enjoy my holiday :)