[CentOS] Unable to share directory via Samba?

Tue Dec 1 09:05:47 UTC 2009
James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>

So I went to System > Administration > Server Settings > Samba and
added a folder to share and initially set it to guest access to get
things going.

I couldn't access this one and only share on this server with guest
access from either my Windows laptop  (XP Pro SP3) or a Leopard server
(10.5.8) so I changed the settings to use user authentication and
added my local user details (this is a stand alone file server with
one user and the root user running CentOS 5.4).

I made sure I hadn't put the entries in iptables incorrect by stopping
iptables (sudo /etc/init.d/iptables stop, which executed just fine).
SELinux kept popping up so I disabled that and restarted the server
also. So now with no iptables nor SELinux enabled flicking between
guest and user access I still can't access the share (I have also
tried authenticating as root to no avail), my Windows and Mac test
machines are erroring out saying they don't have permissions to access
the share (I am an administrator on both machines so its not a local
permissions issue).

There are no firewall restrictions between my test machines and the
CentOS server as I would even get prompted for authentication so
that's not a problem and my test machines work fine because I can
mount smb shares on other files servers in the same subnet as the
CentOS server, what's going on?

Ideas are welcome! Thanks for reading...
--
Regards,
James ;)

Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html