[CentOS] Kickstart wrong swap size

Mon Dec 7 11:56:51 UTC 2009
Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net>

 All machines kickstarted here consistently have a swap partition with the
 wrong size. According to the RHEL5 manual:

| To determine the size of the swap partition automatically, use the
| --recommended option:
|
| swap --recommended
|
| The recommended maximum swap size for machines with less than 2GB of RAM is
| twice the amount of RAM. For machines with 2GB or more, this recommendation
| changes to 2GB plus the amount of RAM.

 However, the swap partition on all kickstarted machines is 2GB, regardless
 of RAM size.

 This is the relevant portion of the kickstart file:

bootloader --location=mbr
selinux --disabled
reboot
clearpart --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=102
part / --fstype ext3 --size=20480
part swap --recommended
part /var --fstype ext3 --size=1 --grow

 The kickstart setup is currently based on CentOS 5.2 (and I cannot move to
 5.4 yet as this is a corporate setup affecting hundreds of machines).
 Hardcoding swap size isn't a good idea either because there's a range of
 different memory configurations. I could however confirm that a manual,
 graphical install from the 5.4 DVD with recommended settings creates 10GB
 swap on a 8GB RAM machine.