[CentOS] Supsend/hibernate on Samsung NC10

Sun Dec 20 19:17:07 UTC 2009
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

Hi,

I cannot have suspend and hibernate working on a Samsung NC10
(netbook) running CentOS 5.4 i386.

When I try suspending/hibernating the screen becomes black (with a few
logs, like "shrinking memory" for hibernate) and then the computer
hangs and I have to force a shutdown with the power button.

This wiki page seems to say that it should work out of the box:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Samsung/NC10

I tried to add the kernel arguments described here, to no avail:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-June/040633.html

Anyhow the problems doesn't seem to be the resume but rather getting
into the suspended/hibernated state.

When I log after a failed attempt, GNOME shows a popup saying that
apparently we failed to recover from a suspend/hibernate state and
that this may be a driver problem.

A few more information about my settings which may be useful:
- the root filesystem is installed on an LVM
- I use the NetworkManager and not the network service
- I disabled bluetooth (in order to remove all unused devices that may
impact this problem)
- [mbaudier at localhost ~]$ lshal | grep suspen
  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_execpaths =
{'hal-system-power-suspend', 'hal-system-power-suspend-clear-error',
'hal-system-power-hibernate',
'hal-system-power-hibernate-clear-error', 'hal-system-power-shutdown',
'hal-system-power-reboot', 'hal-system-power-set-power-save'} (string
list)
  power_management.can_suspend_to_disk = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend_to_ram = true  (bool)
  power_management.can_suspend = true  (bool)

Thanks in advance if somebody can tell me how I can analyse further /
solve this.

Cheers,

Mathieu