[CentOS] [OT] CAT5 IP-capable rackmount KVM units?

Thu Dec 31 03:28:11 UTC 2009
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

Rather off-topic, but I'm looking for IP-based KVMs (~16 ports) that can
handle both PS/2 and USB hookups on the server side.  All of the answers
over at Slashdot are a few years out of date and it looks like prices on
KVM head units have dropped a bit over the years.

Some of the older units only worked with Windows, Internet Explorer and
ActiveX.  Others like the ATEN KH1516i supposedly use Java and are far
better from a cross-platform point of view.

I'm on the fence about the CAT5 cables over the more traditional style,
it seems like the CAT5 cable system would give a lot more flexibility in
dealing with USB vs PS/2 servers (or even serial only?).  The bigger
advantage with the CAT5 stuff seems to be fewer length limitations and
less space used in the rack for the head unit.

I'm guessing that the CAT5 adapters are going to be proprietary?