[CentOS] best practises for avoiding to write passwords in shell scripts (example sqlplus from Oracle)

Tue Dec 1 22:01:08 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have here a CentOS box where i need to setup cronjob (with session
> to remote Oracle instance). On the remote DB i have no access, expect
> limited user.
>
> How to avoid putting passwords in shell scripts?
>
> The solution doesn't need to be perfect, only better than plain text
> passwords in scripts.
> Mostly remote host only support password authentication (no
> certificates and so on).

postgresql supports a .pgpasswd file in the users home directory thats
permission 600, so only the owner can access it.
Maybe Oracle has something similar?