[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

Sun Dec 6 23:29:27 UTC 2009
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>>> From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com>
>> for
>>> Something like: awk -F, ' { print $4 } ' | grep -v "^0" | wc -l Use one
>>> command at a time to see how they work with each other (you might have to
>>> modify the grep a bit)...
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Drive me crazy, why use multiple commands?
>>
>> awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print
>> count }'
>> filename
>
> Sorry . I tried for your proposed procedure , as the followings :
> #awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print
> count }' HLRSubscriber-20091111173349.csv
> But my CentOS server didn't return to the prompt . Can you please let me
> know why it is in an end-less iterated loop ?
> Thank you in advance

Syntax error. You wrote
if ( $3 !~ /^0
not
if ( $3 !~ /^0/

PLEASE: if you ask for help, and someone gives you examples, READ THE MAN PAGES
SO THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I could have just as well have given you
something that would have wiped your system (like system("rm -rf /").

	mark
--
America is the only country that went from barbarism to
decadence without civilization in between.