[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

Mon Dec 7 12:34:49 UTC 2009
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> mark wrote:
>> hadi motamedi wrote:

>>> Sorry . I tried for your proposed procedure , as the followings :
>>> #awk -F 'BEGIN { FS = ","; }{if ( $3 !~ /^0 ) { count++; }} END { print
>>> count }' HLRSubscriber-20091111173349.csv
>>> But my CentOS server didn't return to the prompt . Can you please let me
>>> know why it is in an end-less iterated loop ?
>>> Thank you in advance
>> Syntax error. You wrote
>> if ( $3 !~ /^0
>> not
>> if ( $3 !~ /^0/
>>
>> PLEASE: if you ask for help, and someone gives you examples, READ THE MAN PAGES
>> SO THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. I could have just as well have given you
>> something that would have wiped your system (like system("rm -rf /").
>
> Awk is just too weird for normal people.  I wouldn't even suggest reading that
> manual.  If you can't do what you want with regexps and a pipeline of simpler
> programs, you might as well use perl.

<Looks around, yeah, this *is* a list for sysadmins of Linux....>

ROTFLMAO!

> But:
> grep -v '^.*,.*,.*,0' filename |wc -l
> seems simple enough and says what you mean.
>
> Or:
> cut -d, -f4 | grep -v '^0' |wc -l

So, is there an obfuscated shell contest?

	mark

--
America was *not* built by "rugged individualists". - whitroth
"We must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately" - B. Franklin