[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

Mon Dec 7 16:44:16 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Reading the response, I realize you were serious, not being funny, as I
>>> thought.
>> Yes, I'm serious that if you don't already know awk, there is little to
>> be gained from looking at it now.  Perl can do everything awk can do and
>> more, while shell scripts can do the simpler things.
>
> Ok, there's no point to continuing this - I use whatever tool I feel like,
> and which is simplest to me to do the job: the *Nix way. I also know a
> perl bigot when I see one.

You seem to have missed all the places that I mentioned already knowing
awk as an exception. I'm just not recommending taking the time to learn
it if you don't already - and if you want to call logical conclusions
for the reasons I posted bigotry, fine - be that way.

> You *also* missed the reason I was pushing the original poster to read the
> man page, rather than just do what I said, without trying to understand
> what I was suggesting they do - they made a sytactical mistake that would
> have had the *same* result in perl - he missed the closing / on the
> expression

Sure, but perl would have told you 'search pattern not terminated at
line xx', or you would have gotten this from running 'perl -c' to check
syntax ahead of time.  Would you care to disclose how many of your own
hours you've wasted on the mysteries of awk before you learned to read
that carefully?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com