[CentOS] how to do startup scripts?

Mon Dec 7 20:02:20 UTC 2009
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

Depending on the script placing it in /etc/init.d could work (with
appropriate symlinks to /etc/rc.x) however does the script follwo standard
behaviour for /etc/init.d scripts? (eg start, stop, restart, status.....)

If you just want the script/java file called you could just pop it into
/etc/rc.local to run at the end of the start up sequence (you might need to
& to background it) ... with the reminder that it will only run at startup
then. To run it at other times you would need nohup <scriptname> &

that would prevent it ending when you log out or you close a terminal window
(thus exiting the parent shell).