[CentOS] No ulimit for user

Tue Dec 8 16:38:14 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to remove any limit on open files for a user; I've set
> username nofiles to unlimited in /etc/security/logins.conf, but now I
> get "could not open session" if I try to su to the user.
>
> singhh          -       nofile          unlimited

I think that is an invalid config, just set the limit to something
really high

# ulimit -n unlimited
-bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

Looks like somewhere around the 1 million mark is the max, can't
imagine why anyone would have a system that would have so many
files open.. The max I allow any user is 10,000 which seems
reasonable.

nate