[CentOS] Linux router with CentOS

Thu Dec 10 17:16:24 UTC 2009
Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another Vote for Pfse3nse, the best router7firewall distro around,
> well just my opinion.

One caveat is hardware support.   I assume because it is FreeBSD and not Linux

About a month or two ago I decided to go out and google for firewall
distros.  I made a short list which include pfSense, IPCop, and one
other.   My first choice was pfSense so I tried it first - and did not
get very far.

The PC I tried it on is about 5 years old, but had 1GB RAM, big enough
HD and so on.   I could not get pfSense to even install on it and
decided not even to put any effort into it so I moved right on to IP
Cop which installed without a catch.

The irony is that I have a just about identical piece of hardware
which runs my firewall right now.  It is running a fairly old FreeBSD
distro with no issues.  It seems it is the newer FreeBSD that has
issues, either that or the particulars of how pfSense slices and dices
FreeBSD.

Of course this is only 1 datapoint.  I'd at least recommend trying it
on your hardware.  If it works, then don't look back.