[CentOS] ntop from rpmforge

Thu Dec 10 20:00:54 UTC 2009
Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>

On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Ausmus, Matt wrote:

> Anywho, I wanted to post this response to a thread that was created
> back in November 2008 about the ntop daemon failing to start.  I’m
> currently setting up ntop as a NetFlow & SFlow collector and came
> across the issue.  A quick refresher, the init script for ntop has
> an issue where it can’t parse the ntop.conf file correctly if
> switches are entered before the “@/etc/ntop.conf”.  The suggested
> work around was to move the “-d –L” switches from in front of the “@/
> etc/ntop.conf” and put them behind it.  This is definitely the fix.
> There is a caveat to that and I haven’t found anyone that has
> mentioned it so I thought I would.  According to the documentation,
> if you add the switches after the “@/etc/ntop.conf” those will
> override the configurations in the ntop.conf file.  While this isn’t
> an issue with the “-d” option, if you decide to use a custom syslog
> level and add it to the conf file, the “-L” switch after the conf
> file will override your custom log facility.  In my init file I left
> the “-d” but removed the “-L” expecting me to put my own syslog
> entry in the conf file.

thanks for the report!  the appropriate place to report such issues is
the RPMforge users' list, <users at lists.rpmforge.net>.

i've committed a fix; once the package is rebuilt, it should appear in
the repository.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v