[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 - Problem with Enumeration of NICs

Sun Dec 13 01:28:40 UTC 2009
Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail.com>

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
> I want to manually assign a ID to the cards and let them keep it forever.
> Will the manual entry of the HWADDR=/ /parameter in the ifcfg-eth<x>
> files fix this for good or will it be overrided by some other component
> of the OS?

Miguel,

I just went through this a few weeks ago myself.  If you want to check
the archives, I believe the subject was something like "nic order,
again"

As I recall my solution was to comment out the modprobe alias created
for the network cards (/etc/modprobe.conf) and then in
network-scripts, use the HWADDR in each config script.  Make sure the
device=ethX matches the name of the file, if nothing else, for your
own sanity - since the OS checks that line, and does not care what the
file is named.

Good luck!
Gordon