[CentOS] Home LAN server - dnsmasq

Mon Dec 14 00:28:46 UTC 2009
M. Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com>

On 12/13/2009 2:51 PM, Ben wrote:

> You need to ensure that the clients are sending the hostname in the dhcp
> request.  Your dnsmasq logs will show it, usually in /var/log/messages, and
> if you want you can enable extra logging for dnsmasq to show u exactly what
> options are being sent by the clients.

Excellent idea.  I've been looking @ /var/log/messages which has been
very helpful, but perhaps some more detail would help.

> If i remember correctly Debian doesn't but i would have thought Fedora would
> have by default.
>
> You can do it by adding "send host-name<insert hostname here>" to the
> dhclient.conf.

I'll dig around a bit on the clients and see if I can figure it out; if
not I can always ask on the respective lists for specifics on each.

> Alternatively, you can just assign the static IP using the client MAC in the
> dnsmasq.conf.  You will have the MAC from the dnsmasq logs so you can just
> copy and paste.

Yep, thats how I have normally in the past implemented fixed leases on
things like a wifi router, etc. I got kind of excited at the notion of
*not* having to find the MAC addresses for everything, and then a little
disappointed when it didn't quite work out.  Being as its for a virtual
LAN there isn't a whole lot of urgency if I don't get it working today
or tomorrow (or else I'd have already entered the MAC addresses ;) ) so
I'm going to try ironing out this way first.

Thanks,

Monte