[CentOS] LVM, usb drives, Active Directory

Wed Dec 16 14:52:07 UTC 2009
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

On 12/15/2009 7:48 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have a client with a handful of USB drives connected to a CentOS
> box.   I am charged with binding the USB drives together into a single
> LVM for a cheap storage data pool (10 x 1 TB usb drives = 10 TB cheap
> storage in a single mount point).

(snip)

> What are my best options?

Um, don't?  Like other people said, go with eSATA, hopefully hooked up
to a 4-drive or 8-drive enclosure (or even a 10-drive enclosure).

Alternately, go with an external SAS storage rack that supports both SAS
/ SATA drives.  A SAS card for PCIe is fairly inexpensive ($200?) and
the external enclosures are probably going to be (but not certainly)
better made then inexpensive SATA enclosures.

The big problem with USB is that it only supports about 25MB/s per port,
which means that it's going to be very very slow.  Modern hard drives
can push 50-80MB/s easily.