[CentOS] Silly question x64 vs i386

Wed Dec 16 20:54:54 UTC 2009
Agile Aspect <agile.aspect at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Scot P. Floess <sfloess at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a really silly question... but just want to ask...
>
> I have one box on my home network that is x86_64 capable...  My other
> boxes are all i386.  As this x86_64 machine can, at most, house 4 GB of
> RAM (currently only has 1 GB) - is there any advantage to my running
> x86_64 on that machine instead of i386...  Long story as to why I am
> asking - but before I go off and moveit down to i386 - just wanted some
> opinions :)

The number of bits of the OS is insignificant when considering disk IO.

I'd use the best disk controller (where best is determined by
measurement) and slap into the machine with the most CPU's and make
sure it has sufficient memory.

In the end, if your disks suck, so will your IO regardless of what you do.

--
      Enjoy global warming while it lasts.