[CentOS] [OT] Urgent request

Thu Dec 17 20:43:57 UTC 2009
Dan Carl <danc at bluestarshows.com>

On 12/17/2009 1:20 PM, tdukes at sc.rr.com wrote:
> ---- "William L. Maltby"<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 13:29 -0500, tdukes at sc.rr.com wrote:
>>
>>> ---- m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> We have been searching the internet since Tuesday.
>>>
>>> We have already tried installing a video card, that didn't work.  The beeps at start up indicate to check the video ram. It will boot and run if we put it in another pc.
>>>
>>> The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system.  They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.
>>>
>>> I've been running linux systems since the late 80's.  I have never heard of this but then, I have never run a sco system either.
>>>
>>> Any help or suggestions?
>>>
>> Some BIOS allow you to disable on-board video. Can you get to BIOS and
>> see? If you can that might get you going with another video card added
>> to the system.
>>

> We have no video at all.  Was hoping a video card would have at least let us in to reconfigure the bios but we are unable to see anything.

Did you try an ISA video card?
Some systems will use that slot first without changing jumpers or bios.

Some things to try as a last resort.
1.Clean contacts with eraser and rubbing alcohol.
2.Try putting the memory in the freezer for awhile.
3.Take a soldering iron and reheat the solder joints.
If all these fail drink some alcohol :)