[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

Sat Dec 19 14:22:52 UTC 2009
Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink.com>

Phil Savoie wrote:
> David McGuffey wrote:
>> Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
>> laptop.  I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
>> upgrade it to 5.4
>>
>> The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
>> the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers. I built
>> the machine with Vista and CentOS in dual-boot, so he could manage his
>> iTunes and use the printer under Vista.  He does almost all his college
>> work under CentOS.  Most of his papers are submitted electronically, but
>> occasionally he has to print one.
>>
>> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
>> papers.  On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
>> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
>> satisfy the requirement.
>>
>> DaveM
>>

> Hi Dave,
>
> I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour.  The BW printer is a
> Brother 5250DN  (N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
> capable.  The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD.  Both are ery
> affordable and work well with linux.

HP has several consumer level laser printers available, most of them
with Postscript built in. I have a CP1518ni which I got at Sam's Club
for US$289. No problems using it from Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora or
CentOS. Even with the 1/3 capacity toner cartridges it came with, it
cost less than just the ink jet cartridges would have before we had to
buy another set.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP