[CentOS] Frustrations with MySQL loss, tcpdump, netstat, etc

Tue Dec 22 16:03:57 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

ML wrote:

> MySQL 5.0.77 on CentOS 5.4
>
> MySQL is running, my Wordpress stuff is working, but I cannot connect to the server from my house. This server is in my house, however, but on a public IP, behind a firewall, etc.
>
> I checked my hardware firewall (a dedicated UnTangle system) and that is successfully allowing the passage. I know this because the firewall shows:
>
> 2009-12-22 6:29:41 am passed <my IP>:35606 <server IP>:3306

[...]
> So, on my server I run tcpdump host <my ip> and I dont think I see anything where 3306 is coming through.
>
> if I run a test MySQL connection from the MySQL Workbench and they run netstat on my server
> and I dont see a entry where 3306 is used in what netstat is dumping.
>
> What am I doing wrong? What can I check for? I am stumped!

Where does the client connection originate?  Is it behind the same
firewall but on a NATed address?  Or is NAT involved in some other way
that might keep you from seeing the source you expect in your tcpdump?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com