[CentOS] partitioning order and IO performance

Thu Dec 24 04:50:35 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Timo Schoeler wrote:
>> But these days, nothing should ever be reading from swap, although you
>> might write a bit there.  If it does, buy some more RAM instead of
>> worrying about disk performance.
>>

> Sure, absolutely no question; *but* in the (ancient) times it was
> important, it was 'nice' to have it as fast as possible, i.e. on the
> fastest section(s) of the used HDs. So...

unless you're using tmpfs, where your swap space doubles as backing
store for your /tmp    I use this quite regularly on solaris, it
performs much better than a conventional journaled file system, as
recovery from system crashes is totally not a priority.