[CentOS] OT: What are the 2 openssl commands I need to use?

Tue Dec 29 18:10:40 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Dan Carl <danc at bluestarshows.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 11:36 AM, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> I looked on the openssl man page but am too dense with commands to
>> understand what I need to do.....   Ran into problems generating a key
>> and CSR for SSL,  because the web site is on a server with an old
>> Ensim Control Panel.  Please someone knowledgeable,  give me the
>> openssl commands I need to use, after I ssh into the web site, to
>> generate a 2048 bit key and csr.  TIA and Happy New Year!
>>
>> "I believe the issue you are having is due to the size of the
>> encryption key. The ensim control panel generates a 1024 bit key,
>> where the certificate you got was 2048 bits.  What you need to do is
>> generate a 2048 bit key and csr on your domain. You would need to
>> login in to your domain through ssh and generate the files from the
>> command line."
>>
>> <snip>
> This will create one with a passphrase
>
> openssl genrsa -des3 -out mydomain.key 2048
> openssl req -new -key mydomain.key -out mydomain.csr
>

> Same put without a passpharse
>
> openssl genrsa -out mydomain.key 2048
> openssl req -new -key mydomain.key -out mydomain.csr

Dan: Thank you. As I just replied to Mark, when I tried to use the
openssl command, bash responded that it cannot find that command. I
will relay these commands to OLM Tech Support. Maybe they can use the
openssl command, if they log in as root on the server.  Lanny