[CentOS] chroot problem.

Wed Dec 30 21:13:55 UTC 2009
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Frank M. Ramaekers wrote on Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:51:10 -0600:

> chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

man chroot:
If no command is given, run ‘‘${SHELL} -i’’ (default: /bin/sh).

Likely bash relies on some library that is not available. (this is an
error thrown by bash, not by chroot!)
I don't see why you think running chroot is a good idea when the website
says to do something else.

Apart from that I very much doubt that using an article from 2003 based on
FreedBSD 4.x is really what you want to follow. There is some good config
stuff in there, but chrooting regularly updated daemons doesn't appear to
be a good idea to me. You have to recompile them again and again for each
security bug found. If you don't do this immediately you may actually be
in more danger than without it. If you want to go that route, why then use
an rpm-based system at all? Rather use OpenBSD.
There may be good reasons why you do like you do, but in general I would
rather use what's coming with the system, like SELinux, an IDS system and
other monitoring, tight firewall rules and tight access control.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany