[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Tue Feb 3 08:46:44 UTC 2009

Of
>Les Mikesell
>Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 5:20 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed
>
>> I've been buying from the Smart-UPS and Back-UPS range. Those should be ok,
>> shouldn't they?
>
>That depends on how important it is to never fail.  If it is extremely
>important, you might want something with redundant components like the
>Symmetra line.  These are designed to keep working with some failed
>components and to allow you to replace parts with the equipment on
>bypass but still running.

The UPS-units serve group-server machines. If one or two should go down it's
not really a biggie, although it's not good either. Not critical in any way.
Still, one would expect the UPS-units to last more, or at least not fail due
to the electronics. Besides, I'd never be able to get the funding for the
Symmetra line UPS:es. 8-/

> > All in all about a handfull of them. They're quite pricey... 90%
>> of them suffered some kind of a circuit board failure. Not what you'd
usually
>> expect from a UPS, rather you'd expect the battery to give up first. I
bought
>> them over a few years, so it shouldn't be a bad batch or something like
that.

>You might blame one or two on bad components, but this sounds like
>something is wrong with the input power at your location.  I assume they
>are lasting at least through the 2 year warranty period.  We have at
>least a few dozen of them and haven't noticed any pattern of problems
>other than aging batteries.  Are you tracking the in/out power levels on
>the smart units to see what they have to deal with?

The voltage has been fairly constant here over the years since I started using
UPS and logging the voltage and stuff, 238V more or less constantly. It rarely
drops below 236V or over 240V. We mainly use the UPS:es to have controlled
shutdowns should the power fail entirely - We had some issues a few years back
while they built a new school the other side of the road when the power went
up and down for a uyear or so, and the diesel-generators didn't start up as
expected. This whole building where I work is supposed to be a wartime
hospital with power-backups up to yinyang. But it failed when we needed

It might be that the power is too high, although the standard is 240V in
Europe AFAIK. Or the UPS-units *may* have been rated for the previous lower
voltage-level at 220V, but that sounds a bit farfetched IMO. Unless the units
were a (very much) older batch that APC dumped on us...
--
/Sorin