[CentOS] Intel DG33BU motherboard

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Feb 3 18:13:58 UTC 2009

Paolo Supino wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I've installed CentOS 5.2 (i386) in a computer with a DG33BU
> motherboard ... When I installed it it crashed because of ACPI issues.
> Searching Google I found that I need to turn ACPI off in order to
> successfully install CentOS, which I did.
>   After a while I noticed that because of ACPI is off the Linux kernel
> finds, initializes and uses only 1 CPU core in the Q6600 quad core CPU
> that is installed in this computer :-(
> How can I force it to find, initialize and use all the 4 cores in the
> computer even if ACPI is off?

you might check to see if there's a BIOS update on
http://support.intel.com and flash that, as ACPI uses tables in the
flash bios to describe the hardware.   Intel is pretty good about fixing
stuff like this.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2780&DwnldID=17260&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems&lang=eng

indeed, the latest BIOS for that board is 0517
(DPP3510J.86A.0517.2009.0107.2203), and there is a fairly extensive list
of bugfixes in the release notes
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17260/eng/DP_0517_ReleaseNotes.pdf

do read the readme on the flash processes, there are 5 files, you only
need the right one for the method you want to use to flash it.
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17260/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf