[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Wed Feb 4 21:36:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I just had a Back-UPS of about 1998 vintage burst into flames about 6 >months
> ago. Luckily, someone was near it and grabbed a fire extinguisher. It was a
> Saturday, and if this person hadn't been in on overtime, who knows what >would
> have happened.

That reinforces my decision not to spend time and  $ replacing
batteries or repairing our high end (AVR without using the battery)
Tripp Lite's. 3 of them are in the garage, to be given away or sent to
the dump and have been replaced with low cost non brand name UPS. The
other one is still running and when it dies, it will go into the
garage.

Also, I am reminded that I need to take our 2 fire extinguishers to
the fire station and pay them to discharge/recharge them.    :-)

> We have since replaced all Consumer grade Back-ups over 2 years old, >and set a
> policy to only do one battery replacement and then get rid of them when the
> second battery dies.

Sounds like an excellent policy. Even a brand new unit might catch
fire, as that one did, but more hours of use increase the possibility.